Patient Information Leaflet on Hyaluronic Acid Injectable Fillers
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a substance which is present naturally in the skin. It holds water, thereby hydrating and adding volume to the skin. As we age, our natural hyaluronic acid decreases in quantity and quality. This can result in drier skin, fine lines, wrinkles and loss of substance in our cheeks and lips. A simple injection of hyaluronic acid inside the skin can instantly enhance your looks naturally. It replaces the lost volume, filling lines, wrinkles and replacing substance, without affecting your natural expressions.
What are other advantages of hyaluronic acid fillers?
- They are not animal-based
- You do not need a skin test prior to treatment
- The body fully resorbs it over time
- It is more effective than a beauty cream since it acts from inside the skin
- It is an instant, natural looking beauty lift without any surgery
How long will the effects last?
The average duration of the effect of some of the latest hyaluronic acid fillers ranges from 6 to 12 months. It can be shorter or longer depending on:
- skin quality
- lifestyle (smoking and excessive unprotected sun exposure may shorten the effect)
- the product used and the injection site
When should I start hyaluronic acid injections?
These injectible fillers are designed for adult patients. The results tend to be better in patients from their thirties to their fifties. However results may vary based on skin quality and lifestyle.
Individual assessment is needed to advise regarding expectations and suitability, regardless of age.
Is the treatment painful?
Tiny needles are used and so injections are relatively painless except if the lips are being treated. Anaesthetic creams may be applied one hour before treatment to increase comfort. In the case of lip enhancement, local injections similar to dental blocks can be given to reduce the pain.
How long does the treatment last?
The treatment can be done in a lunch break. Normal activities can usually be resumed after.
What are the possible side effects of the treatment?
After the treatment you may experience slight redness, swelling or bruising at the injection site. These effects resolve spontaneously within a few days after the injection, and can usually be covered up with makeup. However, please inform Dermatology Solutions if reactions persist beyond a week or other side effects are noted.
Very rare reactions include localized allergic reactions, prolonged firmness, abscess formation, grayish discoloration, scab and shallow scar formation. Side effects tend to be temporary as the body naturally resorbs the filler over time.
Who should not have this treatment done?
The treatment should be avoided in patients with: . History of autoimmune diseases and allergies to hyaluronic acid
. Immunotherapeutic treatment
. Pregnancy or breast feeding
. Active skin inflammation/infection at site of injection e.g. cold sores
. Laser treatments, chemical peels or microdermabrasion in the last 6 weeks before treatment
What precautions should be taken before the treatment?
- Avoid aspirin at least 3 days before
- Avoid systemic steroids up to 2 weeks before . If prone to cold sores, your doctor will prescribe antiviral medications 5 days before and after treatment
What about after the treatment?
- Avoid touching the area for at least 6 hours, then areas can be washed with soap and water and light make up applied
- Avoid extreme cold or heat in the 2 days after the treatment
Remember, hyaluronic acid is non-permanent and is absorbed by the body naturally over time - you can decide when to have further treatment to maintain the effect ... you are always in control of your looks ..that's the beauty of this treatment.