Patient Information Leaflet on Multiderm Microdermabrasion
What is multiderm microdermabrasion?
Multiderm microdermabrasion is a procedure which uses patient-specific soft metal paddles, along with vibration, to gently exfoliate the skin in a massage-like manner. It can also be used to infuse creams like moisturizers into the skin, greatly increasing the skin's absorption of the cream.
What are the advantages of multiderm microdermabrasion over traditional microdermabrasion?
Which conditions can be treated using multiderm?
- more comfortable treatments
- massage incorporated into treatment
- quicker treatment times (e.g. 12 mins. for face vs. 45 mins. with traditional microdermabrasion)
- face and many other body areas can be treated
- infusion of topical creams into skin
- pretreatment of skin can be done immediately before laser treatments
- patient-specific paddles help eliminate cross-contamination
- no messy crystals
- no rough diamond tips
- risk of streaking eliminated
- will not affect tatoos nor permanent make-up
Which conditions may make someone unsuitable for this treatment?
- rough skin texture
- uneven skin tone
- enlarged pore size
- fine lines and wrinkles
- acne scarring
How can I arrange a treatment?
- Active herpes simplex
- Skin cancer
- Active eczema in the area to be treated
- Active inflammatory acne
- HIV infection
- Viral lesions in the area
- Use of blood thinning medication
- Use of Roaccutane in last six months
- Injectable fillers in last two weeks
- Exfoliating products e.g. glycolic acid, salicylic acid, retinoid in the last 72 hours
Firstly, you should book your FREE multiderm consultation with our therapist to find out if this treatment can benefit you, to learn more about it and to answer any questions you may have.
What can I expect during the treatment?
The paddles connected to the multiderm unit will be used to gently exfoliate your skin in a massage-like manner. Moisturizers will be applied to the skin, then the back of the paddles will be used to gently infuse the product into your skin.
What can I expect after the treatment?
Your skin will feel instantly smoother. Some patients may experience a slight degree of redness which usually goes away after 35 to 45 minutes. There is usually no down time with this treatment.
What should I do after the treatment?
- If you wear make-up, you should wait atleast 3 hours, preferably 24 hours, before applying make-up.
- Avoid excessive exercise for 24 hours and avoid heat e.g. sauna, hot showers
- Avoid excessive UV light and use a broad spectrum sunscreen and keep skin well moisturized
- Do not use exfoliating products like glycolic acid, salicylic acid and retinoids for 72 hrs after the treatment
- Do enjoy you smoother and renewed skin. Treatments can be repeated as often as once weekly depending on your goals.