Patient Information Leaflet on Ultrasonic Cavitation & Radiofrequency body slimming, anti-cellulite & skin tightening treatments
What is ultrasonic cavitation?
This revolutionary non-surgical treatment uses ultrasound waves to destroy unwanted fat cells resulting in body slimming and cellulite reduction in weeks.
How does ultrasonic cavitation work?
When the ultrasound device is passed over the skin, the ultrasound waves penetrate down through the skin to the fat. It causes micro-bubbles to form leading to the breakdown of fat cells. This process is called cavitation. These effects have been proven by scientific studies. The excess fat is processed by the liver and removed from the body by the lymphatic system and in urine.
What is radiofrequency and how does it work?
Radiofrequency treatments involve applying electromagnetic waves which sends heat to the deeper layers of the skin which helps in the removal of excess fat, skin tightening and improvement in skin elasticity and circulation. In the body this assists in body sculpting and rejuvenation and in the face and neck it helps reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
What are the advantages of ultrasonic cavitation and radiofrequency treatments?
- No surgery
- No needles
- No anaesthetic/numbing needed
- No hospitalization
- No downtime
- No oral medication/pills
- Very little discomfort
- Fat removed through a natural process
- Can help areas where diet and exercise do not seem to help
- Safe for all skin types
Who can have this treatment done?
Women and men over 18 years of age and of all ethnic backgrounds, who have areas of unwanted body fat
Who should avoid these treatments?
These treatments should be avoided if the following conditions are present in the individual:
- Liver failure
- Kidney failure
- Pregnancy and breast feeding/lactation
- Pacemaker or other electronic device implanted
- High cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Heart disease
- Active infection at the area to be treated
- Blood vessel disease
- Blood clots/Deep venous thrombosis (DVT)
- Severe high blood pressure
- Anticoagulant therapy
- Abdominal treatment s should be avoided if menstruating or if an intrauterine contraception device (IUCD) is present
Which areas of the body can be treated?
Ultrasonic cavitation can be done on areas of excess fat such as arms, belly/abdomen, back, hips, thighs and legs . It is not ideal for very obese individuals who want to lose a lot of weight quickly.
Radiofrequency can be done on these areas as well as on the face and neck
How soon can you expect to see results?
Changes in centimetres may be seen after just one treatment. However, most individuals get their desired results in six to twelve treatments.
How often can treatments be done?
Treatments are safe enough to be done once a week. Each treatment session may last 30 to 60 minutes depending on the area to be treated.
What are the possible side effects of this treatment?
Some individuals may experience temporary redness. Heat related complications are possible but not common. Most individuals tolerate the procedures well without any problems.
How can I maximize my results with the treatments?
- Healthy balanced diet and exercise can assist in overall body weight loss
- Mild exercises can be done on the days of the treatment
- Moderate protein, low sugar, low fat foods and drinks before and after treatment
- Ideally at least 2 litres/8 cups of water before and after treatment
- No hot shower, bath or sauna and adequate sun protection after treatment